Find out your level of readiness in just 2 minutes
The Birthify philosophy emphasizes empowering women and promoting natural, positive birthing experiences. While it's important to note that cesarean sections can be necessary and life-saving in certain situations, if you're looking to increase your chances of having a vaginal birth, there are several ways you can optimize your birth experience. Here are some strategies aligned with the Birthify philosophy that may help you avoid a cesarean section:
1. Educate yourself: Knowledge is key. Attend childbirth education classes, read books (see our list of recommendations here), and gather information about the labor and birth process. Understanding the physiological aspects of childbirth and the potential interventions involved can help you make informed decisions and actively participate in your birth. This is Birthify's sweet spot. We aren't here to tell you what you should and shouldn't do during pregnancy and birth. We are here to provide you with the risks, benefits and alternatives to procedures, while talking you through your decision making process.
2. Choose a supportive care provider: Select a healthcare provider who shares your birth philosophy and supports your desire for a vaginal birth. Find a provider who has a low cesarean section rate and a positive reputation for supporting natural childbirth.
3. Opt for a midwife-led model of care: Midwives are experts in normal, low-risk pregnancies and births. They tend to have lower cesarean section rates compared to obstetricians. Consider choosing a midwife-led model of care, either through a midwife in a hospital setting or a home birth midwife, if it aligns with your preferences and circumstances.
4. Plan for a low-intervention birth: Discuss with your care provider the possibility of having a low-intervention birth, also known as a natural birth. This involves minimal medical interventions such as continuous fetal monitoring, induction of labor, or epidural anesthesia. A low-intervention approach can reduce the likelihood of cesarean section.
5. Develop a birth plan: Create a birth plan that outlines your preferences and desires for labor and birth. Discuss this plan with your care provider, and make sure they are aware of your wishes. While birth plans are not guarantees, they can serve as a communication tool and help you advocate for the birth experience you desire.
6. Maintain a healthy lifestyle during pregnancy: Eat a nutritious diet, engage in regular exercise, and attend prenatal appointments to monitor your baby's growth and development. Staying healthy and maintaining an optimal weight can reduce the chances of complications that might lead to a cesarean section.
7. Hire a doula: A doula is a trained birth companion who provides emotional, physical, and informational support during labor and birth. Research suggests that having a doula present can lead to lower cesarean section rates and a more positive birth experience overall. Their continuous support can help you cope with labor pain and navigate the various stages of childbirth.
8. Stay mobile and active during labor: Moving, changing positions, and using upright postures during labor can help facilitate the progress of labor and reduce the risk of complications. Remaining upright and mobile allows gravity to assist in the descent of the baby and promotes optimal positioning.
9. Consider water immersion: Water immersion during labor, such as taking a shower or using a birthing pool, has been associated with a reduction in cesarean section rates. Warm water can provide pain relief and relaxation, enabling smoother progress in labor.
10. Surround yourself with a positive birth environment: Create a supportive and calming atmosphere for your birth. Dim the lights, play soothing music, use aromatherapy if desired, and ensure the presence of individuals who respect your birth preferences. Feeling safe, comfortable, and supported can positively impact your birthing experience.
Remember, the ultimate goal is a safe and healthy birth for both you and your baby. It's important to be flexible and open to the possibility that a cesarean section may be necessary in certain circumstances. Discuss your birth preferences and concerns with your healthcare provider to create a personalized plan that aligns with the Birthify philosophy and your unique needs.
Ready to get started? Schedule your free session with us today.
© 2021, Birthify.net
We promise not to flood your inbox. The best way to stay informed about our progress is to sign up for updates